Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Crockpot french dip

Last week I mentioned about the root beer roast I made.  I didn't like the way it tasted because I could taste the sweetness of the root beer when eating.  Today, I made a roast much the same way, but used a bottle of this delicious Johnny's French Dip au jus in place of the root beer and this meat was sooo tender and savory.  I had trouble stopping myself from shoveling it all down my throat!  I picked it up at Costco last time I was there. I don't have too many pictures to go with the post today because I was frantically trying to get it done while making breakfast and getting ready for work all at the same time and I had a little trouble getting out of bed this morning to start my day.  So, here it is...

Crockpot French Dip
 The mixing ratio is 1 part of this au jus to 2 parts water.  I used 1/2 cup with 1 cup water.  So mix that together, then pour about a tablespoon of oil into a pan and heat it up.  When the oil gets hot, add chopped onion or the flaked, dried kind if you haven't been to the grocery store in awhile like me and minced garlic and saute it.  Then add the roast that has been seasoned.  I sprinkle mine with pepper and placed it in the pan and seared both sides until nicely browned.  Remove the roast and put it in the crockpot.  Now pour the au jus/H2O mixture into the pan to deglaze it.
(Yeah, I know...no pictures of the roast anywhere even though that's what this post is all about!?!) 
Pour this over the roast now and cook on low all day long.  (Ugh, dirty crockpot pictures :0 )
Look at that, someone ran out of crockpot bags the meat is so tender it totally fell off the bone.
So, do y'all know about crockpot bags?  They are the absolute bomb!  They work like oven bags.  Plastic bags that don't melt.  Just line your crockpot with it, add all your ingredients in.  When you're done, remove what you want, bag up the rest and toss it in the garbage!  Voila, clean crockpot in front of you!  They are right by the oven bags, Reynold's slow cooker liners (I guess is the real name).
Getting back on track, I put the meat on a piece of bread, poured au jus over the top, wished I had made some mashed potatoes, remembered that I couldn't because I haven't been to the store yet, and absolutely chowed it down!  Looking forward to leftovers for lunch tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any and all comments, questions and suggestions you have for me!